Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The Texas State Fair

After Matt and Hollie's Houston wedding, we drove to Dallas to stay with one of my BYU room mates, Amber and her family. She also has 2 boys around my boys' ages. The last time I saw Amber was when Dylan took his first steps. I have such good friends from Stover Hall at BYU. We don't get to see one another frequently enough. The funny thing is that we both got dressed for church and came out at the same time to see that we both had really similar outfits on! AND look at HER shoes! We made Steven take our picture. I love that even after over 10 years, we're still so much alike. We're different too, of course, but she's still really active in our church, has 2 boys, works part time, and look at how we dress ourselves and our boys:) We wondered what we should do in Texas, since we had to buy 3 airline tickets (that my mom helped with - THANK YOU AGAIN), we may as well make a vacation out of the trip. We thought that a rodeo is THE Texas thing to do. Unfortunately, there wasn't a close enough one this time of year. But, lucky for it, it IS the big Texas State Fair season though. And I do mean season. They sell season passes! There's no way that somebody could do everything in one evening. We ate fair food (here's corn on the cob.) I heard that fried butter was the new fried rediculousness this year. Here's "Big Tex" above the corn on the cob.
Isaac only had a short nap in the car on the way to Dallas, so he fell asleep on the way to the fair even though it's close to Amber's new house. Zac and Landon also fell asleep. Amber had an extra stroller for us, but only one double stroller. Isaac still fits in this baby sling, so he slept for almost an hour. Me and Amber under the "State Fair of Texas 2009" sign
A group shot of the 8 of us
We spent too much $, mainly b/c we have to start buying things for our kids. I looked at the couples who are either kidless, or got a babysitter. I'd like to go w/ just Steven too, but you gotta love the amazement on little kids' faces! I know we didn't have to let them ride rides, but we were on vacation:)Isaac waited next to that airplane ride while Steven and Amber went on a spinny syntriphical force sick-maker ride and longed to go on an airplane. I promised him that if he waited, then we would go on it. The sign even said that if he wasn't tall enough, then he had to be accompanied with an adult. The guy didn't let him go. We explained the sign to him in English and Spanish and we were willing to pay double and everything, but he wouldn't let Isaac go. I was so not happy b/c it made me be a lier to my son. I know that's how kids get spoiled whatever, but I wanted Isaac to go on just one ride! So he and I left and I had to go with him (thus no good photos), but Isaac was content, and so happy. So was I. Wheeeeeeeeee!
World's Greatest Dad lifting Dylan so he could see the parade
Amber winning Zac a guitar by playing (a lot of) darts
This was the favorite of the evening! It's a slide the size of Texas! Dylan was soooo happy:)
All Isaac got was a big smushy kiss. (In front of the reeeally big Ferris wheel)

Here's the view from the top. You can only see a fraction of the big fair. It's the TEXAS state fair, and every thing's bigger in Texas, right? We were so hot and sweaty and a little tired, but this is inside of the Ferris wheel
Here's Amber's family
Big Tractors!
And little girls, he he
Dylan kept the camera and took some pictures of our looong walk back to the cars.
End of day one. Success!

2 comments:

Kat Gille said...

I love that you and Amber both had fun heels to make your outfits exciting. And I love the pictures of the boys all dressed alike.

Isaac looks enormous in the baby sling! But he also looks so cute and content on the ride. :)

My favorite picture of all though is the two tiny girls in the tractor wheel. Whose idea was that? It's perfect!

And one last thought: your legs look amazing in the picture Dylan took! :D

emmy said...

How fun!! I wish I could have been there! Your boys are adorable and it looks like they enjoyed there time together also. So when is the next big reunion?