Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Fishing for Father's Day - Finally

For Steven's first Father's Day, I bought him a fishing pole. I pictured our son fishing with his daddy. It just seemed like the thing to do for Father's Day. Steven couldn't really picture fishing with a baby and thought it was silly. That fishing pole stayed in the trunk of my Camry for a year. I almost gave it to Marc a couple of times but held onto the hope that Dylan and Steven would some day fish - for Father's Day.
This year, Dylan kept asking to go fishing. Every retention pond, river, lake, or ocean we drove past or over, he would say that he wants to go fishing there. I started telling him to ask Daddy. He got the idea that he wanted to go fishing on a motor boat. Steven loves deep sea fishing, so he booked a tour. Dylan was free! I put the floaty on my camera and kissed them goodbye. (Actually, they got up before I did. I woke up but went back to sleep and overslept for my visiting teaching day.)
Dylan and Steven were both so excited! Dylan kept asking when they could go fishing b/c it took a while to drive to the fishing spot. I wish I had packed his little sunglasses, but Daddy came through and shared his. Dylan told me that he fell off of the bench. He had a red mark on his back. The boat was a little rocky at times. Here's the bench. It was a little too far away from the side for Dylan to use it. There's only a little part of me that wishes I was there. I get sea sick so easily on an anchored boat. Dylan must have loved it.
Steven said it was a little too long for Dylan, but it was just a half day, so it was a little short for Steven. It was really hot, as you can imagine.
All worth it though!
They caught 3 fishies!
The Father's Day picture I always wanted!
Steven cooked the fish on our grill. Dylan liked it. We'll try different seasonings for next time though. Dylan knew that he had caught his own dinner and was proud.

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

How fun! Serious, that is so cool! So...who got to clean the fishies? I HATE doing that and usually will not!!

Jaynan said...

that's pretty cool! i'm impressed that they were eaten. i don't think i could do it....