Sunday, March 8, 2009

Happy 6th Birthday cousin Ashlyn!

You can tell I had just been crying. Traumatic morning. Not sure I want to share, but what the heck. Here's the long version so you'll get bored and won't read it.I put my keys in my purse then decided I would just take the diaper bag instead. I opened Dylan's door and the back one to get the stroller out. There was another family loading up their stroller and they commented that it looked like I sure knew what I was doing. Don't you hate foreshadow jinxes?

Dylan jumped out and pushed the button so his door would close. I ran over and said nooooooooooooo (all in slow motion.) Isaac was sleeping in his car seat and I hadn't opened his door before locking the doors. I realized while that door was closing that my keys were in my purse - in the van. I called Steven to look up the triple A number while I realized I should call the police instead. He told me that too. I was in Odessa so I called 411 for the Odessa police station. She said she didn't see one but she saw some other city offices. I hung up and called 911 before finishing telling her thanks for nuthin'. I told the 911 operator that I had locked my baby in my car. I could see the cross street signs and told her right where I was. That's when it hit me that my baby was inside of a black car and the sun shining on him. I was crying and couldn't utter "thank you" to the operator when she told me that help was on the way. The fire station was at the end of the street so I could see the lights coming down the street right away. I was wiping my tears away while holding Dylan. Dylan said "I'm sorry." I told him it wasn't his fault. I was praying flagging down the fire engine and thinking how grateful I was for tinted windows and the window screen Don got me. For added shade, I put Isaac's extra outfit up on the window shadowing Isaac's sleeping face and arms. While my lock was being popped, a county police officer came by. He said he had noticed the commotion. He verified that the city does not have a police department. Anyway, I woke Isaac up when they unlocked the door. He didn't know what happened, but Dylan did. An ambulance went by yesterday and Dylan recapped the whole thing. He told me that I was crying and I held him and he pushed the button and he locked the door and the ambulance came and Isaac was in the car and it was OOOOOOh KAAAAAy. Then he smiled. So true. I wish I had not been driving when he was recalling the story b/c I would love to have that story on video. Onstar would be a good thing to have b/c I let a frantic mom use my phone to call onstar so they could unlock her car w/ HER baby inside. I never thought it'd happen to me.

Dylan and Isaac were all over this playground. I could NOT get them in a good picture together.






Fun party!

7 comments:

by: Brian and Lacey McKay said...

Oh! That's so scary! It brought tears to my eyes too! So many of those kinds of stories end badly (when the kids are forgotten). I'm glad you weren't out in the middle of nowhere or without a phone! How long was he in the car? Was he all sweaty?

Marcie said...

Oh how scary. I'm so sorry. That is totally something that would happen to me. Don't feel bad... all's well that ends well. He is just fine & Dylan got to enjoy some excitment. You did everything right so don't let the guilt get you!

Lindsay said...

Oh My gosh! That is so scary! I just read your post today after church, otherwise I would have talked to you before!! You are still super mom!!

Tiffany Feger said...

It took longer for them to pop the lock than all of the phone calls and waiting for them to get there. He was probably only in there for 10 min I'd say. Maybe less.

And he was sweaty, but not as sweaty as usual. He always sweats when he's in his car seat or sleeping next to me. I had to wake him up. He was sleeping peacefully through the whole fiasco.

Should I send them a "thank you" basket or gift or something?

Anonymous said...

I think you should send them a card with a photo of Isaac--or maybe one of both boys. That's your signature move, and I think it would be completely appropriate. You're an amazing mom. Seriously. You thought quickly and got him out of there in ten minutes--before he even got too sweaty or woke up to find out that he was stuck. And you weren't upset with Dylan, so it isn't a bad memory for him either. You did everything right. Now let's just hope Malia has no recollection of when I locked her in the car when she was four months old! I think she was in there for closer to 20 minutes, and she WAS quite sweaty!

Amber Ayres said...

wow! I'm glad you're all ok! how scary. thank goodness for cell phones!

The Cardines said...

I had a similar thing happen to me with Ariel. I had just parked my car in the church parking lot and was getting out to get my Bible from the trunk. Instinctively, I locked the doors on the car as I got out. As soon as the door closed I realized that I had left Ariel, who was a little over a year old in the back seat sleeping. The car was running and I remember breaking out in this nervous laughter. I know it seems a little odd, but I couldn't believe what I had just done. I called Jerry first and then I called Pop a Lock. I told them that I had a child locked in the car and they promised to get someone out immediately. I remembered feeling so nervous. Thank God the car was running though. Pop a Lock had not arrived after about 10 minutes so I called 911. The said that they would have to break my car window and before I could even get off the phone I heard the sirens as they were approaching. Thankfully though Pop a Lock arrived right before and were able to open the doors. Ariel slept the whole time and I did let the Fire Department ambulance evaluate her before we just went home.