Tuesday, May 12, 2009

great day then shaky night

Betsey and Nora are here!!!!
At last, Nora and Isaac meet.

We're having fun catching up and playing. We got smoothies on the way back from the airport, Noah took a nap, then we went to my mom's to talk to Uncle Martin the Hero (in Mexico) and had delicious dinner. After playing outside a bit, we went to the beach to see the sunset. Nora is so cute in person, just like her blog! Thank goodness Betsey blogged the day, b/c I was at a really late soccer game. And on the way home, I called 911! I saw what I thought was a teen boy folded in half over his legs on the side walk. It didn't look right so I did a U-turn and did a double take. Some other kids rode bikes away from him, so I didn't know if he was hurt or if there was an altercation. I didn't see where the bikes went so that made me a little nervous. I did a "scene size up," and shouted "ARE YOU OKAY?" a couple times through my passenger side window, then actually cautiously got out and shook the guy's arm while asking. After the 3rd shake and shout, he perked right up, startled, and scooted away from me and stood swaying in a confused daze while the firemen pulled up. (So yes: his Airway was fine, he was Breathing, his blood was Circulating, and had no Deformaties if he could stand on his own.) I needed to be a good Samaritan b/c of past training, but once I found out that the adult male had just overdone it w/ drugs, meds and/or alcohol, I felt guilty for waking those poor firemen up.

One paramedic thanked me then I mentioned that I was an EMT and was going to say that I never really worked as an one besides my rotations, but he interrupted and said "yea I know, you were my student - how's picking teeth going? Are you doing that now?" I hadn't recognized him b/c he was in his head lights and had buzzed his hair. But I could never forget that voice. I gave him a hug even though I'm sure I was pretty gross after that soccer game w/ no subs. It was pretty cool to know that I was remembered after 6 or 7 years, he was a good trainer at station 31 at the time.

(Steven and Betsey were asleep when I got home still shaking a bit w/ my heart pounding, so I had to tell you. Thanks for reading!)

P.S. I told Steven today (the next day) and he said that's why he didn't want me going back to look for my camera that night I lost it/it got stolen. He said that there would be a couple of people passed out downtown and he didn't want me stopping for every one b/c they could be on some crazy drug and could have snapped at me. He's right, of course. I need to think of my personal safety first. I'm a trusting naive person some times.

1 comment:

Kat Gille said...

Aaa! Scary! So what exactly happened though? It looks like maybe a couple of lines got deleted from your story. You were just driving home and saw a guy passed out on the side of the road or something? Yikes! That's pretty dang cool though that your trainer recognized you after all that time--and he even remembered specifics about you like that you were a dental hygienist. How fun is that?