Wednesday, September 2, 2009

1st Day of Montesori School

Dylan goes to his school twice/week year round (unless I take him out so he can do something fun with us like last Monday.) So going back to school isn't as eventful for some kids. BUT, he did move into the montesori class there.

We bought him a new superheros shirt and made him wait for about 2 weeks to even try it on. I gave him a hair cut, and talked about not sucking his thumb in his new big boy class. He still just had his regular cereal and almond milk in a tall cup in the car, no special breakfast, but Steven went with us to drop him off! He did the same thing a year ago when Dylan started with his first teacher.
I plan on taking a photo on our door step each year before he starts school. It's funny that he really stood on the little door step:)And jumped off of it to run to the car. He doesn't get to take a back pack, but he does get to take his cot sheet I made, his blanket, and his saber tooth tiger.
His class was already on the playground when we got to his class. Dylan was so excited to see the new room! He hadn't gotten a chance to visit the room before because he went to Busch Gardens with Steven the Monday before, then had a class Luau party the Thursday before. His excitement made me happy:)
His best friend at school, besides Malia, is in his new class too. They both love the sand box.
When he came home, he told me that he had a good day and that he really slept (instead of just resting and reading books.) His rest time in this class is later in the day which is MUCH better. He called his Uncle Martin who started school the same day. Poor Uncle Martin said he just wore an old shirt. He's not as lucky, Dylan said.

*Note about the hair cut:
I decided to cut his hair in the back yard before swimming. I need to buy a WORKING buzzer so it'll be less traumatic.
It's still humid and hot in the evenings even though we were in the shade of the house. The hair started sticking to his hands, then he rubbed his face, then he started crying so the hair stuck to his tears and snot. I offered a lollipop after the hair cut (it would just stick to the lollipop if I gave it to him then.) He didn't care about that. I offered his favorite swimsuit, and I even offered getting him the red fransformer he has been wanting for a while now. The only thing that settled him down was telling him that we would be done after singing 3 songs together. He picked them and stopped crying as soon as he started to sing the Insy Winsy Spider. He even answered questions as I stalled between songs and verses of his next two choices, Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, and I am A Child of God. Then I hosed him off before he got to go in the pool.
Moral of the story, he doesn't need to be spoiled, just sung to! He's ready to learn.

Send me songs that will help him learn states (Lacey), presidents, skip counting, languages, poems, and all things he should know. Or send me links to where I can find them. He's ready!

1 comment:

Marcie said...

I've got some great cds for you... in the meantime look up jack hartman