Friday, December 28, 2007

Help me please!

In 2008 I want to be a better home maker. I'll be spending more time at home I'm sure w/ anywhere from 2-4 babies on a regular basis. I want to be better at planning meals. Right now I'm worse than anyone I or you know. I started by ordering some individual Isagenix shakes, but Dylan would rather have a yogurt smoothie and I have to get up early enough to make it for Steven or he'll grab a pre-made one. The shakes only work for me. So I need help w/ the dinner preparation/planning. One of my problems is that I shop for the ingredients, don't use them all, and they go bad and I wasted money. I'd rather just snack than plan a flop like that.
Any ideas for crock pot recipies? We got a crock pot as our first wedding gift when we got engaged and it's been used once or twice in over 5 years.
Any ideas of things I can buy to stock up on that's healthy, non-perishable, easy, quick, and doesn't have left overs? Left overs are fine, but I came from a big family so when I started cooking, I would make enough food for a family of 10 and Steven won't eat the same thing every day for a week. Neither will I.
Comment on this or email me if you can help.

2 comments:

betsey said...

Tiffany,

This is very hard for me too! Especially during the last 6 months with the pregnancy and school.

Richard and I have (in the past) made dinners when we have time and then frozen them. That works pretty well for us. Additionally, we have found a few pre-made meals that are decently healthy. Those work well when we need something fast.

I would also say don't beat yourself up if you aren't cooking dinner every night for your family. YOU ARE AN AMAZING MOM! I mean really, you are so wonderful at exploring with Dylan and showing him the world. He has enough nutrition and is a wonderful healthy boy!

The Cardines said...

I really like the crock pot because you can put dinner on in the morning, leave it alone, and it ready to eat later. I would recommend using it for things that can stand cooking for a long time like chicken or beef. Just throw in the meat with the veggies you like remember to add stock or water to cover everything up and you are done.

Also consider buying things that are fresh only if you plan to eat them over the next couple days and buy frozen veggies because the last longer in the freezer. I recently started using the steamer bags that you can pop in the microwave and in 4-5 minutes you have a vegetable side.

I wish you the best and remember you are having a brand new baby and you just can't do everything! Good luck!