Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Happy Hanukkah!

Hanukkah started days ago, so this is pretty late.

Dylan and I got to play with the boys' dreidels. We were just playing for fun with goldfish.




I was reminded of this song that I learned a really long time ago.

I have a little dreidel. I made it out of clay.
When it's dry and ready, with dreidel I shall play.
Oh dreidel, dreidel, dreidel, I made you out of clay.
Oh dreidel, dreidel, dreidel, with dreidel I shall play.

It has a lovely body, with leg so short and thin.
When it gets all tired, it drops and then I win!
Oh dreidel, dreidel, dreidel, with leg so short and thin.
Oh dreidel, dreidel, dreidel, it drops and then I win!

My dreidel's always playful. It loves to dance and spin.
A happy game of dreidel, come play now let's begin.
Oh dreidel, dreidel, dreidel, it loves to dance and spin.
Oh dreidel, dreidel, dreidel. Come play now let's begin.

I have a little dreidel. I made it out of clay.
When it's dry and ready, with dreidel I shall play.
Oh dreidel, dreidel, dreidel, I made you out of clay.
Oh dreidel, dreidel, dreidel, with dreidel I shall play.


I asked Marc if dreidels were supposed to be made out of clay. He said no. Sadly, I'm pretty ignorant to thier holiday. I have been there on one night of Hanukkah years ago and LOVED how they all waited until they could all be together after their busy day of activities. They didn't just open presents, they did the spiritual part as a family first. I loved it.


On Wednesday I got to be a part of their Hanukkah celebration for my 2nd time on the 2nd evening of Hanukkah. Again, it was so sweet how they were so unified as a family following traditions. They even gave Gelt to Dylan and to me! After we all ate ours, THEN they got to open their present. That night they got a big basketball goal! Dylan's going to love it as much as they do! We felt so lucky to be there with them to share their holiday.

I have lots of nativity scenes around and Dylan knows that they all have a "baby" in them, but I'm not sure if he knows it's baby Jesus yet. I try to read scriptures and sing the Christmas hymns and songs nightly as a part of an advent gift that Lacey gave me last year, but because it is not required and I do not have a set time to do it as a family, it gets pushed aside. I think that I may start some sort of tradition of reading the Christmas story before presents on Christmas morning. I'm not sure that will stick as my kids get older, but it's a good idea.

No comments: