Monday, October 15, 2007

A Great Day

Today was such a good day. I didn't get to sleep in, but that's OK. Dylan has been waking up at around 8am so he's a good alarm clock. That's not too early. Malia came over a little after that and we had breakfast and a relaxing morning. Then we lathered up in sunscreen and put on swimsuits to go to the beach. I was feeling guilty for not calling any girlfriends to go with me, but I feel inadequate when I go with someone else b/c then it shows when I forgot something or if my parenting skills aren't what they should be. Plus, I didn't know if I would really go or if I should clean the house since I spent the whole day at church the day before (so it feels).

So we went alone.
There's no longer a toll for the renovated Treasure Island bridge! The bridge went up and Malia was laughing b/c she thought it was so fun (or funny). I have to admit that it IS pretty cool to see the road go up at a right angle with flashing lights.

I only had $1 in cash to put in the parking meter, but I had $20 to break once that 45 min was up. We packed the good ol' double stroller and I went for a jog on the beach boardwalk/sidewalk. It's kinda uncomfortable for me to go jogging b/c some random muscles are stretched beyond normalcy and the baby bounces on my bladder. Amazingly, there was a nice public restroom at my turn around point on the boardwalk! The handicapped stall fits the stroller and me in it perfectly.

So when we got back to our parking lot, there was the oasis of a snack bar where I got to break my $20. I got the kids 100% fruit juice and my fav kind of bottled water. It's overpriced, but at least there's no toll, remember! I then paid the meter so we could stay all day.

I WISH we could have stayed all day. We had the playground and picnic tables to ourselves.
(Dylan wasn't too sure about crossing the bridge, but he did it!)(Dylan needs sunglasses like the fishies behind him)The area is closed in enough yet open enough so that it's a perfect play area. The shore line seems miles away so I didn't even plan on going in the water. Luckily the babies couldn't see the water so weren't tempted either.

They played on the playground area but were content in the shade dumping sand on the picnic table bench. I was able to lay in the sunny part and could watch them from under the table. It's hot enough to where I felt like I was getting a tan (probably not though) yet not where I was sweating. It was breezy, but the sand wasn't blowing in our eyes. I fed the kids side by side at the picnic tables - perfect! (I think they were conspiring together here on where to hide the lima beans so they could get to the yummy part of lunch.)They had showers right there for when I needed to change diapers or clean them up to go home. It was so much fun! I was kinda waiting for them to get moody so I could tell they were ready for naps, but they were happy and playful. I finally took them home b/c it was already an hour past their nap time. They fell right asleep while we waited for that draw bridge on the way back.
So that would be a perfect end to my day, but they slept while I cleaned the house (glad I didn't guilt myself into doing it before leaving) then Dylan woke up so we could shower off. Malia woke up when we were ready. I watched some of Oprah. (She's usually on when I'm busy and there's nothing on all morning when I do have time to have the TV on.) Then Dylan and I went to the Szasz's. We played for a bit then went to the mall. We ate dinner at the California Pizza Kitchen (a first for Dylan and me) "Hey Dad, can you come get me - I'm done w/ my pasta."then we went to Nordstrom's. I got Dylan some Crocs. I didn't use to like them, but I tried some on and now I do. I don't have any myself b/c they're too expensive, but Malia has some and she can put them on herself. I think that's totally worth the price. If Dylan can dress himself, that saves me time and time is $, right?!!! Besides - I was getting paid to be at the mall, so why not spend it on Dylan? They were on sale anyway.

So that was my day. A kinda-work out, a possibility of some sun, relaxing at the beach, productivity when the kids are sleeping, fun with the Szasz boys, hanging out at the mall, and a good dinner. Can't wait to do it again on Wednesday!

2 comments:

The McKays said...

Wow! It sounds like you guys DID have a perfect day! I'm so jealous! The weather has been so yucky here lately. A huge wind/thunderstorm came through last night and kept waking Abbey up. It also blew a bunch of our the insulation out of our building and across the street! It's just a big muddy, yucky mess out there right now. I wish I was on a beach in Florida with you right now!

It cracks me up that you go jogging while being pregnant. I used pregnancy as an excuse NOT to exercise!

I love how descriptive you are with your day. I feel like I was right there with you.

Oh, and our park has a fish slide/climber thing like that too! But I would freak out if Abbey tried to go down it yet!

The Stevens said...

Wow, looks like you did have a fun day, that's great.