Sunday, August 10, 2008

Look who's cookin'

Better than Peas!Dylan: "eew, clean spaghetti is touching my leg!
I want a warm bath now, Mommy."
Isaac: "cool!"Dylan: " here, you try it first."Dylan: "Do you like it?"
Dylan: "Ok, I'll try it"
Isaac: "Ah, this is nice and relaxing and squishy" Isaac: "and cold now, I'm full"
Tummy time, or, Isaac's 6 month portrait

Dylan doesn't like to be messy. Isaac and I had fun though:)
To answer some questions:
It was actually Steven's idea. We had family pictures done and I was all excited to frame them and hang them on our blank canvas-of-a-dining room wall. Well Steven said he wants a big picture or two of our boys making a mess with spaghetti. This is Steven's first photo shoot idea (besides Christmas card pictures back before we were parents). I couldn't believe that he was not only okaying another photo shoot, but it was HIS idea! So I called a portrait studio and asked Portrait Innovations if I could make a mess. Some studios let babies make a mess with their first birthday cakes, what's the difference? They said if I take my own white sheet with plastic under it. I took one of those cheapo white plastic table cloths and made like 10 boxes of spaghetti. I didn't have time to find chef hats and kid aprons. I didn't look too hard because I thought those may make the pictures too busy. I borrowed a big pot from my mom, but then found this one in my cabinets (shows how much I cook, huh.)
Dylan seriously doesn't like to be messy. He sits on one hand so he only has to get one hand messy if he's eating something that might spill. When I go to wipe his hands, he hides the clean one because even the wet wash cloth is too much for him. He has been like this since I can remember. Malia is the opposite. She will drip everywhere and will get food in her hair most every time she eats. She would have been throwing the spaghetti for a real food fight. If I took her, THEN I would be brave.
I feel like I learned from this and would work WITH Dylan's dainty side next time. I would let him just feed Isaac or something. I put a pile of noodles on his leg and he freaked out. I would use more sauce and would mix it in before hand so there's more color in the pictures. I would also warm the sauce. The spaghetti was still warm, but not by the end. The in the pot pictures had potential, but Isaac was too messy for me to pick up and cuddle. I picked him up and he thought he was done. When I put him back down, he was disappointed. He was ok, but not happy after a while.
I can't wait to get the large prints. I'm not sure if I'll do gallery wraps or frames with black and white checkered mats or something. It has to be big and will definitely make a statement. I don't know how we'll enforce the "don't play with your food" rule when the time comes though.

6 comments:

Jane of Seagull Fountain said...

I don't know if you're incredibly brave, or just a little bit crazy.

Great pictures!!

Danielle said...

Those are great. Where did you get those done. That is so funny, I would have never thought of anything like that. Did you take them? Did you make all that spaghetti yourself?

tarable said...

Very fun shoot! I would be scared to have Roland eating all those noodles. Looks like Isaac loved the whole thing though. We love seeing pictures of your boys.

3in3mom said...

cute picture idea---love the pics of your boys!

The Stevens said...

Those are so cute. Good idea Steven and way to go Tiffany for making it happen. That's a lot of noodles.

betsey said...

This is CRAZY!!! I can't believe that you made it happen, I'm very impressed!