Sunday, May 4, 2008

I'm back, (a T.M.I. post)

So we moved into Maria's house. She's still in the hospital but should be coming home in a couple of days! She had the internet here, but it was the slow kind that's not even worth anything. We didn't switch our internet service to here 'til Friday and I've been busy.

I can't believe that we let Maria live with slow speed internet. I'm feeling pretty guilty that as her kid (in-law), we haven't helped her update. It's so sad, really. It's no way to live. I don't know if she ever really used the internet or not, but still. The first real evening I spent here, I got *upset and broke down. It's my little mission to update the place while I'm here. Steven is worried that I'll mess up her system and she won't appreciate it. I don't know anyone who wouldn't want new carpet though. Steven told me it's the same carpet they had when they had a dog. I almost puked. Maria is a clean person, don't get me wrong, but just that thought is unbelievable, don't you think? It was a big golden retriever inside dog too. Since she doesn't have access to my blog in her hospital room, I'll tell you what I'm pushing for. I want to get her new carpet in the living areas for Mother's Day. Steven said that benefits us and not her. What do you think? Of course this is after I said that cleaning out her fridge and other things I've already done would be good Mother's Day gifts. He said all those couldn't be gifts b/c they benefited me more at the time.

So I'm so happy about her back yard. It has a pool! I went right through the front door and out the back one the first couple of days I was here (and today after church). The inside of the house was too overwhelming and too hard to move around in. The back is my oasis. I set up our hammock and a beach umbrella. I let Dylan just strip down to his diaper and left his clothes on the deck. We put our feet in and told each other about our days.

a tangent:
I love asking Dylan what he did that day. I'll ask who, what, where, when, and why. He has a fun memory. If he is silent, it's b/c he doesn't know what I'm getting at. I'll then say something like "was Malia there?" and he'll say "yeah." That will jog his memory and he'll say "and Noah!" He'll also do gestures. Like a little dance move or something to say that he was dancing. He also said "and mump mump" after going to my mom's house. Steven didn't know what that meant. Dylan stood up and jumped twice as he said "mump mump" again. He also did the sign language for jump. My mom has a trampoline.

Back from the tangent:
Steven spent a long time on the pool today. The water chemicals are good, but Maria doesn't have a vacuum or a hose or a pole. Her pool guy does the water, not any maintenance. What's wrong w/ us kids? Why haven't we cleaned the leaves on the bottom before? Like I said, I feel so sad about it.

I'll blog tomorrow probably. I've been watching Corrie's kids over at her house on my days off. I've honestly been filling my evening with either babysitting or shopping (window shopping) for dresses for Marc's Bar Mitzvah which was yesterday. It was a-MAAAAAAAAAAA-zing- better than any wedding reception I've ever been to or will ever go to I'm sure. I honestly enjoyed all of the ceramony as well. It didn't even seem long to me although it was.

*When I was upset, Dylan came and found me. He saw that I was sad and gave me a hug. He turned his head sideways to look at me. Then he gave me another hug. He was sooooo sweet. He kissed my arm then hugged me again. He sat by me for a little bit then left. He came back in to be sweet again. He asked me to go out in the living room by holding my hand. When I declined, he hugged me and rubbed my back with one hand. He snuck the other hand under my hair around my neck. I don't even know where he learned to be so thoughtful. I don't think that can be taught. He's just a good kid when he's not yelling "NO, right NOW!" For wanting things like typical two year olds want.

3 comments:

The McKays said...

Having slow internet is "no way to live"...ha! Ain't that the truth! I'd rather have not internet than slow internet!

Once again, you are being too hard on yourself! You are a very busy mother of two baby boys and you are so active in the community. It is NOT your job to take care of everyone else!

I think the idea of getting her new carpet as a Mother's Day gift is a nice thought, but maybe too big of a gift. And possibly more for you than her. It would be better to just sit down with her and ask her what she wants. She might be looking forward to coming home from the hospital and she might be upset to come home to something that doesn't feel quite the same as how she left it.

Don't get me wrong, I totally understand where you're coming from because I too feel the need to clean and redecorate everyone's houses that I go to, but I must restrain myself. To me, it might seem like a favor, but to them, it might seem more like an insult. Make sense?

Anonymous said...

What a sweet little boy you have. You're going to adore that memory always, but more particularly when he's an obnoxious teenager! :)

And I kinda agree with Lacey on the carpet thing. Maybe she'd like it, but then again maybe she'd feel like you were accusing her of not having a clean enough house. And that seems like a really big, expensive job to undertake if you're not completely sure it'll cause a positive reaction!

Tiffany Feger said...

Alright, I'll ask her what SHE wants. Good points, girls:)