Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Ramblings of a Thirty-year-old

Today I turn thirty years old.  That's kinda old.

So what do I have to show for my twenties? 
It's time to ramble reflect. 
I met Steven when I was twenty.  We were lifeguards together.  I had NO clue that I would spend all of my twenties with him when he first saw me in my interview outfit.  He wore weird grass-like sandals, his lifeguard swimsuit, and his tan. He looked familiar, and I thought it was from a church activity or something.  WAY wrong:)  I had played on his ex-girlfriend's high school soccer team.  It was his senior year, and my sophomore year.  Both of our only years at Pinellas Park High School.  Two years later we got married in the tropical Orlando temple and are living happily ever after:) 

Anyway, we have made lots of plans together.  I love that.  I love having somebody else to be accountable to.  And I love doing things with him.  So my accomplishments are all because I have had a supportive and brave husband. 

I would have never bought a house, especially the messed up fixer-upper triplex we bought with Andre.  My mom even forbid me to live in the part that we fixed up so beautifully while we both worked and were in our school full-time.  We had little Dylan and little Isaac in that house, and Chrissy and Lacey, and all of my friends from my baby shower actually,  helped me put the nursery together so beautifully.  That was the hardest room to let go of when we sold and even made money off of that big front porched now beautiful house.  Then we were able to buy my mom's house where we are today, ten years later.  Steven helped me realize that I really could be a home owner. I couldn't have done it on my own.  

There's a lot that we have accomplished together.  So in my twenties, I got married, became a home owner, had 2 baby boys, got the career that I love (and have been there exactly five years now), started my own business, and am so blessed that we are all healthy and happy.  There's also a lot of filler in that decade.  I've had lots of fun, met lots of friends, traveled a bit and have been a little adventurous, but it seems the more significant fillers are that I have been able to be a leader with different organizations, been part of teams and groups, continued to learn, and have some of the best friends and extended family ever. 

Here are some things that I am realizing about myself:
I love to meet and interact with new people one-on-one.  I like to see how we can be symbiotic friends (can happily help each other which will help ourselves, I learned that from Go Diego Go.) 
I love to squish my babies and an kiss them over and over and over and over again. 
I don't like responsibility if I'm only accountable to myself.  Steven takes care of all of the home affairs like bills, groceries, meals, laundry, most of the cleaning etc so I can pursue anything and everything else that I can do. 
I'm forgetful still.  I usually go back in the house at least once to grab my phone, ear rings, or shoes.  And probably all of my friends can tell me when I have left something over at their homes.
I like when Steven initiates things like "time for prayers, who's going to say it?"  I don't like to have to take charge if he's here. 
I have a lot of weaknesses, like sweets.  If it's in sight, I want it, I need it!  I'll brush my teeth later. 
I don't like to read or watch movies b/c it seems like a waste - even if it's not. 
But I like to lounge on the couch and possibly fall asleep in the evenings while watching TV.  And I turn the TV on when I'm up late, mostly for the noise. 
I love accepting responsibility IF nobody else can do it, or if I'm capable. 
I like visiting teaching with my Grandma Rebeck.  She's so dang smart and amazing!
I have more of an opinion the older I get, and more things irritate me.  I wish they didn't. 
I love naps and always have and always will.
I am productive after the 10:00pm news once Jay Leno comes on. 
I will always want/need to be more organized.
I love having so many good options from which to choose. 
I'm good at last minute things, so I feel like I'm doing somebody a favor and he/she/they don't think that I had a lot of time to prepare, so I don't have to worry about being perfect. 
I want everybody to be happy.
I like things to be efficient.
I love good friends.
I hate money.  I wish I could go out and buy all of my friends/family/(self) what they want. 
I make lists.
I love when friends have their own businesses and when friends love their jobs. 
I like to network.
I'm liking staying home more, I used to hate being home and always wanted to go see and do things.  Dylan is like that now.  So I'm happy when Steven takes the boys to a movie or baseball game on the weekends so I can get things done w/o feeling guilty for neglecting my boys.
Part of me wants to go dance and charge plane tickets to see friends or Vegas and drive to South Beach still, but the other part of me is so happy to stay home to plan and get organized for future decades.  That part of me definitely feels thirty. 
So I haven't been skydiving.  I don't want to go. (Plus, zip lining in Costa Rica was amazing enough for me.)
I like my life so far.
I love my family.
I love my jobs.
I love my calling at church.
I love my friends.
I am a happy thirty year old lady.

1 comment:

The Stevens said...

Great post Tiffany. You have accomplished a lot and you are a great person and awesome friend!!