Thursday, July 22, 2010

My Birthday Party

Sometimes there's not enough time for everything, but I like to cram it all in and we had to make time for my 30th birthday. I decided.  10 of us girls went downtown to Ceviche to have some $4 tapas.  So many of my good friends were there!  We sat, ate deliciousness, talked about kids and the grown-up jobs we have, and how we dream of going to hair school (Jolyn will do it, right?!)

I was the luckiest girl in town.  Some of our friends have gone on vacations with a group of friends to celebrate their 30th birthdays, but that was back when I was young and had less responsibilities (namely Dylan, Isaac, and this mortgage).  I was content with having dinner with girlfriends.   

Then, guess what.  A band was setting up, and they started playing "Happy Birthday."  Some of the girls looked at me, but I said "they don't know it's my birthday" and went to sip on my water.  I was caught off guard as a huge tres leches piece of cake with a lit candle was placed in front of me. 
I still don't know who set that up, but it sure felt like the band was there just for me, even though I was planning on us eating upstairs.  It was perfect!  Then the band next played and sang "Young at Heart."  After the song, they asked "Do you feel young at heart, Tiffany?"  I had mixed feelings about that one.  Does that mean that I really look old and I'm officially in the "I'm 29 again" club?  Like I have to hide my age and pretend I'm young b/c I look and act and dress old?  Granted, my hair cut still had the rat tail, shaggy uneven "layers" and mismatched chunky highlights, but still. 
I'm fine being 30.  No regrets.  I've usually been the youngest of our group of friends and the haven't really changed, or have they?  Maybe I've been acting like an old lady for years already.  Whatever.  I was looking around at my friends to see who wanted to go up and dance or at least put our arms around the band members for a picture.  Maybe if it was just me and one or two of the girls there I would have done it, but it seemed like collectively we were to mature for that.  But I really was feeling young at heart the whole time the band was playing their songs. 
 
It was so windy after!  Jolyn, Jana, and I kind of felt like going dancing.  Another night!

Thank you Jolyn, Jana, Bevin, Sarah, Corrie, Barbie, Malarie, Sarah, and Marcie.  I feel so loved:)

2 comments:

The Stevens said...

That was a fun night (and I will probably steal some pictures from your blog). I am glad you had a fun birthday! I mentioned the hair school thing to Daniel, he was like "ummm, ok?" ha ha. We'll see. :)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday again :) That was fun!