Thursday, August 12, 2010

haters? really?

Yahoo is my home page, since I use yahoo email.  Occasionally one of the main headlines catches my attention.  This one did.  It's an article about how my church is changing its add campaign.  I've seen the "old" ones where they say something like "Family. Isn't it about time?" or something.  A little cheezy, but there's a phone # where viewers can get a free Bible or Book of Mormon or can find out more for themselves.  (You really can get a free one or both by the way.) 

So the new adds are being run in select cities, and online, of course, saying that we're regular people, not gay haters or polygamists.  Here's the example used in the article:

The point of me bringing it up is to say how crazy most of the comments are under the article!  Wow.  I knew we were a "peculiar" or "misunderstood" religion, but I had no idea that SO many people have such bad stories or opinions.  How sad.  Maybe there really is a reason for the "we're regular people" adds.

The whole point is that you should ask us.  I love that our religion promotes finding out for ourselves.  The church is putting so much online now that people can do their own research if they want to before talking to the honest young missionaries.  I honestly don't take full advantage of all my church has to offer.  I went visiting teaching with my grandma last night and as I flipped through this month's Ensign magazine, I wanted to read most of the articles!  One article had a picture of a guy running, which appealed to me since I'm training for the marathon. It was on finding ballance, which I always struggle with (it's almost 2am and I'm side tracked while uploading photos as an example).  It's called "All Things in Wisdom and Order."  I like the wise counsel from King Benjamin.  You should read the article to get the whole idea, but here's the scripture:
"And see that all these things are done in wisdom and order; for it is not requisite that a man should run faster than he has strength. And again, it is expedient that he should be diligent, that thereby he might win the prize; therefore, all things must be done in order" (Mosiah 4:27).
Elder John C. Taggart, the article's author, broke down the scripture into duty, persistence, capacity, balance, and priority or seasonality.  I've been listening to self help books on my long runs (b/c they are SUCH a waste of time for a multi-tasker like myself), but I should get the conference talks' and Ensign Article MP3s too.  There is seriously good wisdom in them.  (Duh I know, but it relates to self help books and it all goes together for me.)

So the point of my ramblings this time, is that I just don't see how people can be so quick to judge or say crazy things like that!  There are 2,258 comments so far and I am not one of them.  I'm all for voicing your opinion, but I just didn't know there was this much negativity.  It also made me realize that I should be careful with my own comments in case they could be taken the wrong way.  I am guilty too. OK, back to editing baby Shaylyn's 9 month portraits:)

No comments: