Wednesday, August 5, 2009

{im}Promptu Pool Party

My brother, Martin, watched Isaac while we went canoeing. Steven told him it might be harder than both of the years he was in Mexico. Isaac surprised us and was apparently a good little kid. He even napped for a full hour! Martin took Isaac to the city pool where he used to work. Isaac wasn't into it at first so he went to a playground, but then had a fun time swimming with his uncles. (JT went to the pool too.) They bonded! So cute. Here they are in our pool when I invited Martin over to have a little pool party at our house on the day that I had all four kids.
It was a perfect pool day. We didn't have to wait for one of the babies to go to sleep since Uncle Martin was there! He was a lifeguard for me. It's a good thing, b/c I had to go in a lot to get stuff for lunch on the grill. The kids were able to stay in the pool and play b/c Uncle Martin was there. Also, Malia pushed Isaac in on accident when she was jumping over the stairs. That's against the rules, so the poor girl had to go to time out. I didn't know I got a picture of it 'til later. Here's the picture right before Isaac was in a front glide and was scooped out next to Martin's knee. And Martin saved Dylan from silly Malia a little later when they were both trying to get in a little floaty. She was pushing Dylan under and didn't stop when I told her to because she had no clue that she was doing anything wrong. Martin scooped Dylan up then saved Malia too (from time-out) b/c he told me that it was an accident and that they were playing nicely. I had only seen Dylan's struggle. (Martin was closer in both instances.) And THAT'S why I don't take all 4 kids in the pool by myself.
Martin also took some pictures for me.

And of me. I like Malia in the back ground. Dylan's swimming quite well. He'll swim across the pool from the deep end to the shallow end by himself now! That was my goal for him for the summer.

He's also snorkeling, floating, gliding, kicking on his back by himself (not confidently yet,) and even diving! Isaac is also swimming. No, really, he is! He's too hard to photograph though b/c he will just jump or glide in no matter what I tell him. He'll try to swim from the stairs to the side wall when I'm up on the deck, but Dylan will be in the way so I'll have to go in and save them. He pushes off, is horizontal, and kicks those feet like crazy. He moves forward! He can do alternating arms above water, but just stretches them forward to grab me or the wall. Tonight, he would stretch his arms out, but wouldn't grab onto my hands! (I never pick him up out of the water unless I think he's been under too long. I make sure that he can grab something and can pull himself out.) Anyway, tonight, he wouldn't grab my hands, or he would, only to push them back to give himself a forward boost. He wishes he could snorkel I think. He goes right for the deep end. Instead of doing "choo choo train" (scaling the wall with his hands,) he pushes out and away to try to swim around me because I'm too slow or am in his way. He's fun, yet dangerous. And I'm not even pushing him to swim like I did with Dylan.

3 comments:

Kat Gille said...

Cuteness. I love it when our brothers play with little kids in the pool/teach little kids to swim. They're just so sweet and patient!

I think Isaac's face in the thrown-in-the-air photo is pretty funny. Did he enjoy that once he realized that he wasn't going to die?? :P The shot you got is pretty much amazing though. Seriously. Puffy clouds, green trees, water spray coming from the toes of a spread-eagle baby completely unattached to the strong uncle tossing him into the blue sky . . . perfect!

Lindsay said...

That was such a fun post. I loved watching Dylan swim across the pool and even better when he comes up for air! I can't wait to have you teach my girl how to swim!! :)

Tiffany Feger said...

no, Isaac didn't like it, but I liked the picture dispite his worried face.