Saturday, August 8, 2009

Dylan's 1st trip to his dentist's office

In order to not be a hypocrite, I took Dylan to a pediatric dentist. I've cleaned his teeth before and brush his teeth lots and lots, but I wanted a little advice on his thumb sucking habit at night and to make sure everything was developmentally okay. I prepared him for the trip telling him that I would not go back with him and what they would do. AND that we would go to the beach afterwards.

I did not like the receptionist at a closer pediatric dental office because she did not work with me. I wanted special treatment for my son since I'm a dental hygienist. She was rude and didn't even listen to what I had to say. So I went with my friend. I met her as a lifeguard. She offered me a job at her practice but I was about to start dental assisting at another office. She told me that if it didn't work out, to give her a call. It didn't work out after about 6 months, but she wasn't hiring any more. I did end up working for her over one winter break because my office closed when his kids' school was out. She had called me to work as a dental hygienist when she remodeled her office to include a position for a dental hygienist because she knew I had my license by then. I was happily employed at my now dream job by then though. Sometime in there, I taught her baby how to swim. I remember the sweet girl bragging to her mom after the lesson, "I did soooooOOO good!" Sandy, her mom, asked if that's what I told her because she hadn't said that before. Sure enough, the next lesson I caught myself complementing her by telling her that she did sooooooooOOO good. Another connection we have with Dr. Sandy Worman is that she sat on the jury for one of Steven's trials. She voted against Steven, but there are no hard feelings. She said that she believed the seasoned officers over Steven's client, but that she did think that Steven was really good.

Dylan and Isaac played free Pac Man while we waited.
Sandy took us back to a consult room and reminisced a little until her assistant came in to keep her on schedule. Dylan started to cry with the suddenness of going back to the treatment area without me. A minute later, Sandy came and told me that he was fine. I handed my camera to a dental assistant, and they really took pictures for me! This is his dental assistant cleaning his teeth while he watched a movie he picked out.
Dr. Worman is performing Dylan's exam.
Dylan liked it! He even sat for xrays which surprised them! That's good because he has radiographic caries (cavities) in between his last two teeth on his lower right. I mean, it's horrible and embarrassing for me that he has cavities, but it's good that we caught them before he gets a toothache. I'm not happy about having to pay over $300 to get them filled. NOT happy. I'm now flossing his teeth every single day. I had been a hypocrite after all.
But he wasn't traumatized, he got a prize at the end, and we headed to the beach with a bunch of friends so he could brag about being "soooooOOO good at the dentist's office."

1 comment:

Kat Gille said...

Cute kid. I love the picture of him with the x-ray protection vest thing covering pretty much his entire body. Not fun about the cavities though. Hopefully the dentist visit to get them filled won't make him scared of the dentist since this first visit was so good!