Monday, June 16, 2008

The Long Story About The Long Vacation

Thank you, Kat (A.K.A. Aunt Dat), for watching my babies for me! (and for updating my blog, I love the big juice/zapatos story)

So we flew my sister in to babysit our boys so we could get away. We wanted to do something really fun for Steven's big 30th birthday. We went on a cruise for Andre's 30th birthday then the boys grew out their beards and dressed like lumber jacks and we drove to South Carolina to chop down our own Christmas Trees for Darren's. We put them in the back of our RV we rented. Steven had wanted to sail to Bimini (in the Bahamas) for his big day. Well, they're not exactly checked out on a sail boat and would have surely been lost at sea. Instead, we decided to rent a regular deck boat from Key West. Darren and Andre organized the whole thing. It originated as a "long weekend." The keys aren't that far away - like an 8 hour drive. Kat took a whole week off so she could have some fun in the sun before being a mommy the rest of the week. We left Wednesday after work and didn't get back 'til Sunday evening. That was waaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAY too long for me. Our van had 6 of us in it, so I couldn't drive back early. I took my boys to get pictures taken so I could stare at them whenever I wanted (and I did). I said it was for Father's Day, but admitedly didn't really care if that's what HE would want or not. I opened my wallet many times to sneak glimpses of my babies. I got home sick. Not for a home, obviously, but for my babies. I missed them so much. I held back tears lots of times. I couldn't hold them back after the 3rd night. What the heck was I doing? My babies were maybe awake and wanting me. I was feeling selfish. Nothing is worth leaving them for that long. I had fun snorkeling the first part of Thursday (before I got sea sick) and lots of other times of course, but would have gladly left after Thursday's trip.

Wednesday:
I took the boys for a photo shoot where they printed the pictures for me right there. I framed some for a Father's day gift. I got the oil changed and loaded the mini van up with baby supplies. I dreaded going to drop them off. I left Kat with sooo much stuff. It was hard to find room in the deep freezer for all of the milk I had saved up. I kissed my babies good bye and had a sad ride to pick up Steven. We left later than anticipated, but I was secretly NOT rushing to leave. We made it in time to go to the airport to surprise Luiz and his lady friend, Jenny. We were all really nervous. I was biting my nails. We weren't sure if it was his flight from NYC or not that we were waiting for. Steven bought a big marker and a legal pad to make a sign to hold. We didn't know if Luiz would be happy to see us or if he wouldn't know what to do. He may not have had enough time to warn his girlfriend about us. He is always up for antics and spontaneous fun though, so what the heck. We hadn't seen him in so long and couldn't wait to see him anyway. Success! He yelled when he saw the six of us. Yay! He had changed his mind about hanging out with us that night b/c he wanted to see his family there in Miami. We knew that part already. That night we passed lots of hotels with "no vacancy" signs 'til we finally found one with a price we were ok with. We all crammed into one room since we had an air mattress. Steven and I didn't wake up to Andre whisper-yelling "Steven, Steven, .... STEVEN! You're snoring really loud! Steven, STEVEN, roll on your side!" Everybody else heard it and it ended up being pretty funny. Steven's high moment of the trip was the fact that he ruined everybody else's sleep when we went to bed at like 2am and were up at 6 to go to our snorkel trip. Corrie couldn't help laugh when we would repeat that loud whispering. That was her high of the trip. It was so miserable for them apparently. I have no idea how I sleep through that but hear the boys when they get up in the middle of the night.

Thursday:
We woke up not well rested and I took two Dramamine. We boarded the snorkel boat and went out for a 6 hour trip! Andre and Rita lathered on layer after layer of sunscreen. We thought it was pretty funny, but they're the only ones who didn't get burned somewhere. That'll teach us! My high moment of the trip was that first place we anchored. I've been snorkeling before and it's always different. This was amAzing. The water was so clear. Here's my fish face.I saw lots of different fishies everywhere I looked. One of the crazy things was that I got to swim with sharks. I looked up, and there he was! A shark that was taller than I am. He was a little away from me. I stayed close to Steven and got on the other side of him so Steven was between us. Steven was chasing the thing trying to get better pictures. I followed behind Steven until I realized the shark could turn around and head for us. I pictured it in my mind and stopped following. Then there was another one to my right. I wasn't scared at all. I did kinda scream a little when I looked down and was swimming in the same direction as a shark below me. It was about as far away as if he were laying on the bottom of the deep end of a regular home pool and I was on the top. I was startled, but not scared still. I felt calm and like this was so cool. Steven took this video as I stayed back.

One time I was chasing some fish with Steven for a while then finally looked down. I couldn't believe all I had been missing by looking ahead instead of down too. Then I thought how lucky I was. Every direction was clear and there were fun things to see. I wasn't afraid to dive down to get closer looks at things because it was so light and clear. My underwater camera's latch broke so it works, but it's not water proof until I get it fixed. I'm so glad that Andre and Corrie have newer versions of it so we could use their cameras. I started to feel yucky and Steven headed to the boat with me. We were almost done with that stop anyway. I waited to get sea sick until we were moving. I didn't feel good enough to go back in at the next two stops, but I was happy. I could have gone home after that first stop. And I do mean HOME, to my kids. It would be a long next couple of days . . . We ate and checked into our condo on Key West. It was a 2bed, 2-1/2bath with balconies, a hot tub, washer and dryer, and everything. We had 10 friends go all together, but only 3 couples stayed there. We met up with Dave and Stacy but not with Luiz and Jenny. We had a packed day but it's the KEYS! We wanted to make the most of it. We went to a cool little bar where a guy was singing anything we asked. Of course we wanted Buffet. Steven and I left our business cards with a trillion others stuck to the walls and ceiling. We didn't stay out late because we had a big day planned. We thought about TPing Luiz' car for not going out with us since he has done it for less, but we got tired. Steven even bought a roll of toilet paper and everything. Luiz was staying on the other side of the island from us so it didn't seem worth it after a while.

Friday:
We went on the boat we rented, this time with Luiz and Jenny while Dave and Stacy stayed on land. Steven drove the boat out to the reef and we did our own snorkeling. I didn't really go out much because we didn't have enough fins and the current was tiring without them. The highlights of that excursion were attaching to the anchor, loosing, finding, loosing, then finding Darren's sunglasses, and the sand bar. Oh, and the high seas crashing over and drenching us when Andre drove. I had over done it with the Dramamine and was soooooooooo tired. Now I realize that's why I was too tired to kick with out fins. I was drugged up! We ate lunch and I didn't say a word. I couldn't wait for a nap. When I got up, we had all 10 of us over for a cheese and cracker party. There are lots of memories from that evening. We didn't have big plans for the next day, so we had planned on that being our big night out. We did some dancing and hanging out, but that's when it hit me the most. I didn't get to say good bye to Luiz (he left early) and realized that we could be hanging out with the rest of our friends back at home. There wasn't anything extra tropical about the table we were sitting at and I wanted to kiss my kids goodnight. I wanted nothing more than to squish Isaac's smushy thighs and to bury my lips in Dylan's resilient cheeks. I didn't let it show because there was nothing I could do at that point and everyone else was loving life. It's supposed to be a care free place. That night, I cried myself to sleep in our couch bed. I've said that Isaac sleeps in the crib. Well that's kinda a lie. He starts out there, but I always bring him in bed with me when he wakes up needing me. I need him too. I was thinking about how he needs me and poor Kat is the one getting up with him. She was sleeping on the floor with him because she was worried that he would roll off of her bed or that he would roll and put his face down on it. It felt so un natural to be so far away from my baby. No other mother mammal in the world is away from her nursing baby for this long. I was feeling like this was not a good excuse to be away. Whatever happened to it just being for a weekend? I know it's my fault. I could have backed out, but we were flying Kat in and nobody else would have understood. I had been feeling like I needed a vacation from Dylan and Isaac. They are a handful for me. Dylan had been so clingy and nagging. He doesn't do it for Steven or Corrie as much, but he is stubborn for me. I didn't miss that, but I would have tolerated it. When Dylan's sweet, he's the sweetest.

Back to the story. We were all bummed that Luiz turned in early. That didn't seem like him at all. Steven had told him that if he left us, then he would slash his tires because we had let him off the night before. Steven decided it was a good idea to let the air out of all of his tires. I wanted nothing to do with is since I knew it must have been his girlfriend's decision to go in. The Luiz I know would never have left early. He is the guy who comes into town with little notice and expects us all to go out all night. We certainly used to, but since kids, just the boys usually go. This was a treat because Corrie and I never usually go out at night. I could tell he was torn on what to do. Anyway, Darren was all about it, so they TPd the car and let the air out of the tires. Steven was going to help him in the morning since I have tripple A. He just wanted to get the point accross that we missed him, tough love I guess. We would have called a truck to go inflate the tires and Steven thought Luiz would have been upset, but would have understood. Yea, I'm pretty sure Luiz and Jenny hate our guts. Jenny hadn't been to the Keys before and didn't get to see anything besides what she saw from the boat. Seriously, that's sad. She's so nice but I'm pretty sure she hates us and I certainly don't blame her. She doesn't know us. We got to know her some and I thought she seemed so perfect. Steven and his friends always put each other down and give each other a really hard time for some silly things. We didn't see Luiz again and I'm still bummed about that. It's all rediculous. These boys never change.

Saturday:
I called Kat and had her check the cost of flying from Key west to her. I wanted to cry but didn't. It would have been about $450. I asked Steven what the shuttle boat costs. He reminded me that that only went as far north as Ft. Meyers. Kat assured me that the boys were happy and that they had fun plans for the day including going to the Rays game. Dylan loves baseball, so I felt better. I figured I may as well take advantage of having a babysitter, so I got my hair done. (What a way to waste away precious time in the Keys, but I had tried to get Steven to come home early and hand't been able to and it was way over due.) We all rented scooters and cruised the island. I had to share Steven's the 2nd day because mine wouldn't start. Four of us went to the historic cemetary. Two of the plates read "I'm just resting my eyes" and "I told you I was sick." We took a picture by them. And of course we went to the southern most point of the continental USA.Steven and I split off and we found a Key West Key Lime Shoppe and tasted some samples of lots of stuff made with the little Key limes. We got a slice to share in their quaint tropical back yard. I liked it, and the pie. We browsed some shops and saw a typical Key West parade. That was funny. That's Andre:)It was cloudy so we missed seeing the sunset from Malory Square, but we met up with everybody for a while anyway. I was pushing for us leaving that night. We did get a lot of pictures of just me and Steven. That rarely happens since Dylan and Isaac are so much more photogenic.
Sunday:
It was Father's Day. You'd think these dads would want to see their kids. Corrie and I got Steven and Darren a Publix cake and some other things. Darren had been upset that I hadn't gotten Steven a Publix cake on his real birthday. In fact, I had gotten him a key lime pie that I had the bakery write on. Anyway, even though we got up at 6 something in the morning, I didn't get to squish my baby's fatty thighs until after his evening fussy time. We cut the scheduled stops in half, but some times people can't hold it. When they gotta go, they gotta go. We did stop at Robbie's to feed the tarpon. You should do it!I saw the most gators on Alligator Alley than I've ever seen before. I tried to not be a complainer on the way home since it was Father's Day. I knew that there was nothing I could do to change the situation I had placed myself in. I was fine until about 3-4 hours away. I kept my mind off of my boys, but then got overwhelmed when I called my mom. Isaac was crying. All my mom said was that Isaac was not happy and she asked how far away I was. I was so sad that I was not there to comfort my baby. I knew that it was probably his time when he gets sad and wants to cuddle in the dark and nurse himself to sleep. Sometimes he gets really worked up, but it's only at about 8:30pm usually. He was doing it early. I wondered if he would still be crying when I got there. I hoped he would be calm, but then thought that if he were calm, he would probably be sleeping and I would miss seeing him awake for the night. I missed Dylan so much too. The anticipation was too much. Then I had stupid thoughts like what if we got in a car wreck and I never got to see them again. I know, dumb thoughts, but I was sad. We dropped Corrie and Darren off at their house. Malia ran out and wrapped her arms and legs around Corrie with the biggest smile. All of her tiny spaced apart teeth were showing but not her squinted eyes, her smile was so big. I had to look away because it was like one of those Hallmark moments where girls cry in those movies. I was so happy for Corrie even though it was cheesy or something. I was jealous and couldn't look. I wanted to say hi to Malia too, but Steven took care of that and rushed us out of there. Steven kicked Andre and Rita out there even though they live close. He knew I needed to see my little boys. I felt so helpless. Steven told me I should have anticipated not getting in 'til this time, but that was not consoling. When we finally pulled up, my mom was outside holding Isaac talking to a neighbor. I was totally rude and didn't say hi. I snatched my little guy and cried some more. I missed him so much. I went inside to Dylan too. I held both of them and we walked through to the back. Isaac didn't want to eat. He was tired and started crying again. I was happy. Steven was so good and filled the van up with all of their stuff then unloaded it into a humongous pile when we got to Maria's. I had packed more for them than the six of us adults had all together. Poor Dylan said "Mommy! uh, bu bye?! uh, Dita's house, now?!" He had lots of fun, but was ready to go back with me. Kat had told me that my boys liked her and that she would miss them. On that long ride back, I wondered if they would like her more. I was worried that Isaac would like the bottle more too. It's ok though.

Monday:
So anyway, Corrie gave me the day off. Her mother-in-law was still in town. It's the first time like ever, that we didn't leave the house that day. I breathed in the smell of my two sweeties with each kiss. Well, not the ones that Dylan got annoyed with. Then I started tickling him. How fun. The electricity went out for hours at Steven's work, so he got sent home early. Yay for us! And we lived happily ever after.
The End

4 comments:

betsey said...

Phew! I made it through this really long post and I have to say that I about cried at the end, when you were at Corrie's. How sad! I can't imagine leaving Nora for that long. It would make me so sad! It makes you realize that we only need a little break, like a few hours, rather than a few days huh? I love you Tiffy and think that you are an amazing mommy! Congrats to Steven for turning 30, and I am glad that the trip was fun (sort-of) :) Love you!

by: Brian and Lacey McKay said...

Wow. That is seriously the longest post in the history of blogs! Abbey's watching "Little Einsteins" right now, so I actually got to read the whole thing in one sitting.

I teared up a few times myself reading it, especially the part about you worrying that you might get in a car accident and never see them again. That's how my mind works, so I could totally relate to that kind of worry.

I'm glad that you are back home with them now. You needed a vacation, but maybe not that long of one!

I can't believe you were brave enough to swim with sharks! I could never do that. I'm not even sure I'd be brave enough to go snorkeling period. You'd never want to take me on a trip like that. I'd be no fun. I'd probably want to just sit on the boat like your friends. And I can't say I blame Luiz and his "lady friend" for hating you guys. That's the kind of thing you do to your worst enemy, not your best friend! TP'ing the car would have been bad enough! You'll be lucky if they ever speak to you again.

Danielle said...

I am glad I am not the only one that teared up reading this. I would have been the same way as you. I cried leaving Liam the one night (and only night that I have ever been away from him) that he slept over your house. I wouldn't be able to handle 5 days of not seeing him. Ryan would be fine, but mom's are different.

You look like you have a wonderful vacation and I am so jealous! That is like Ryan's perfect vacation!!

Anyway, I am glad you had fun and are back with your boys!!

Anonymous said...

Awwww.... Tiffany! I'm sure this trip will be way more fun as a memory... I'm not brave enough to leave my little ones yet. But even though it was really hard I think it's good that you did! It sounds like they did great with Kat and from the pictures it sure looks like you had some fun... even if you didn't realize it. Welcome back!