Monday, September 10, 2007

Edification

I was talking to my brother yesterday who is taking a ton of classes at BYU. He still manages to have fun. I'm not in school any more and I only work part time. I have a ton of things that I should be doing but since I'm only accountable to myself, they don't get done. I know that we all make time for our priorities. And when I have too much on my plate, I always get the necessary things done AND the things I want to do. Example: this blog! It's like a journal, but since someone will read it before I die, I keep up with it more than my journal.

Anyway, I need to read my scriptures but I don't know how to set a goal. I've been reading the necessary scriptures for my Sunday lessons that I teach and even started reading for the adult Sunday School ahead. BUT now I'm playing w/ Dylan in the nursrey for Sunday School (post to come) so I stopped that.

I decided to go online to find some sort of reading chart for the Book of Mormon so that I can check off what I've read and I can see my progress. Last year I was supposed to read the whole Book of Mormon, but didn't. Then I was going to read to Dylan every day, but would only get a few verses in at a time and it got more annoying than enjoyable.

So, I found this website: ReadTheScriptures.com It may be a phase that I'm in, but I hope it will last. It's free, you can pick the book of scripture you want to read and it will send you a chapter a day to your email or you can customize it. I said I want to finnish the Book of Mormon by the end of the year. It calculated that I'll need to read about 61 verses/day. I did it today! It was so easy!

I've tried the scriptures on CD, but now my commute to work is way too short and I'm eating, brushing my hair, feeding or soothing Dylan, and putting my make-up on. I know there are tons of benefits to reading the hard copy of the scriptures, but that's only if I really do it! I love seeing my old markings and making new ones. When I'm mature enough for that, I'll do it.

From the website:
"We must study the scriptures according to the Lord's commandment (3 Ne. 23:1-5); and we must let them govern our lives and the lives of our children...So I ask all to begin now to study the scriptures in earnest, if you have not already done so"
(President Spencer W. Kimball, 1976)

So, this is a new thing for me, but sitting at my computer is much easier than opening a book. I know my weakness, and this website is one way to turn my weakness into a strength!

1 comment:

The Stevens said...

That's good. Maybe I'll have to try that website too. I have a hard time staying in the habit also.