Wednesday, September 5, 2007

18 month check up

Dylan is over 18 and a half months old, but he just went for his 18 month appointment today. (My forgettful self didn't make the appointment before). He’s right at the 50th percentile for height and head circ. but is just under it for the weight. She said he’s developing right along the right curve b/c he was just under for weight last time too. The doctor also assured me that it’s normal for his belly to be big and didn’t see anything wrong with it. Height – 32-1/4”
Weight – 24lbs, 6oz
Head Circ. – 18-3/4”

I am really happy with our pediatrician. Her nurse is so sweet to Dylan and she even remembered Malia’s name! The nurse went over what vaccines I wanted and didn’t want by looking back through the chart. They always give me info sheets on each one. I don’t want chicken pox b/c I’d rather Dylan catch it like a lot of kids do. (I don’t want him to get it when he’s 14 like I did, so I’ll vaccinate him before his 14th birthday if he hasn’t contracted it by then.)

The nurse sets up the shots all organized with the band-aids all ready for the doctor. I always write down the lot numbers and the expiration dates in case I hear something on the news about a recall. The doctor went over everything with me then discussed her concerns about me not getting the chicken pox vaccine. She doesn’t want Dylan to get some infection from the open wounds b/c there are more bacteria around that are really resistant and she’s seen kids in the ICU with chicken pox complications. She didn’t pressure me into it, but wanted me to be making an informed decision.

The thing I liked best is that she told me that the flu shot she had in stock was not the preservative free kind. She had remembered (or checked her notes) that I had asked about what the preservative was in all of the shots before. She said before that she only uses the preservative free. She asked if I still wanted the one today with the preservative(s) in it. I declined. The Doctor was so nice about it!

Dylan and Malia will be going to preschool when the next baby comes for 2 days/wk so I thought he should get the flu shot before that. (Because of the discussion the pediatrician gave me last time I declined the flu shot.)

So, Dylan cried for the Hep B and the DTaP shots, but got to go home without the flu one.

My only question for her was how many words Dylan should know by now. She said the textbook answer is “20” but as long as he’s developing each week he’s fine. I showed her the list of his words/sounds and signs and she laughed. She said they were cute words and she wasn’t worried. Only the mom is supposed to really understand what each sound is at this point until he’s 2 years old but by 3 years old, other people should be understand him. Oh, and the pediatrician also checks out Dylan’s teeth and asks good dental health questions. I don’t think I’ve told her that I’m a dental hygienist. She asks if I brush his teeth and she makes sure that it’s water in his sippy cup. Little does she know that Dylan likes to floss too!

On our way out we saw Zach! I get to see him every day that I work b/c he goes to work with his mommy (my boss) but Dylan doesn't get to play with him much so we stayed until they calles Zach's name.

1 comment:

The McKays said...

Wow! His doctor's office looks way cleaner and newer than Abbey's and I love that they tell you so much about the shots! I can't wait to meet our new pediatrician at Abbey's 15 month check up! It's at a brand new hospital, so it should be much cleaner!