Sunday, December 20, 2009

Busy CHRISTmas Time {Refocus}

A member of the bishopric (Don, my step-dad) told me today at church that he had a blessing for me. After some unnecessary small talk, he knew I was ready for him to get to the point. He then asked me if I would give a talk in sacrament meeting next Sunday.

"Sure," I instinctively replied.


Man, I thought, no break for me. I have Christmas to get ready for this week! I didn't say that aloud though I did ask if he meant sometime in January instead. No, I had heard correctly.


I've been getting a little scattered at my house again, doing a lot of projects, and saying a lot of yeses. I've been to 6 Christmas parties (including Festivus), Dylan's school Christmas program, a birthday party, and a Bar Mitzvah this month already. I've said no to 4 other events, but honestly it's b/c I was double booked and although it was possible to do them all, I was able to decline the RSVPs, although it was still hard. This is my last week to finish getting things ready for my own little family. I have 3 major projects that I'd like to accomplish now that Jake is already a Bar Mitzvah. I don't really have to get them done by Christmas b/c nobody is expecting them, but that was my goal. I'm going to work like crazy these next couple of days, but I'm taking January to be a month for ME! And my photography business-to-be, of course. I have had 3 people ask me to do photo shoots, so I'll do them after Christmas. I'm excited to build my portfolio, get a simple yet memorable logo, get my website(s)/blogs up, and to launch Fishy Face Photography in the spring of 2010!

Anyway, one more thing BEFORE Christmas (giving the speech for our congregation) didn't seem too exciting for me, but then I remembered this short video that the bishop in church mentioned today. So I looked it up. Watch it:











So, preparing a talk will help me keep Christ in Christmas, and I'm sure all of my priorities will fall into place.

Here are some pictures that I have taken this month. My boys are about that little girl's age and have that same innocence.

I have a lot of nativity scenes (a LOT) and I let the kids put them out where they think they should go. (I superglue them back together as needed.) I like to see them rearranged all in a circle and in different configurations. Here's one example.

Don was right, I do need blessings with my hectic schedule. So go to church on Sunday, and hear whatever it is that I come up with! (Pray for me too:) (And watch the video again to see the snowflakes over the manger scene when you show somebody!)

5 comments:

Brandon and Katie said...

dang i wish we were going to be in town!! :( you will do awesome. merry Christmas!!!

Kat Gille said...

Way to put it in perspective. And yep, that was a good little video. Made my eyes water, especially thinking about Dylan in place of that little girl. Merry Christmas!

Kat Gille said...

Oh yeah, and I wish I were going to be in town for your talk. If you write it down, send it to me, k?

Anonymous said...

nice post. thanks.

Grandpa said...

Wow. ... So, did you write your talk? I'd love to hear/read it. And thanks.