Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Strawberries, messes, and more strawberries!

Last month, we went to go pick our own strawberries.  I've had people ask which farm in Plant City we went to.  Sorry, we were getting lost trying to go to one advertised in the St. Pete Times and stopped at this one b/c there were "U Pick" signs.  It only cost $1 for 4 of the 1 quart containers. SO worth it!  Here is Isaac with a clean shirt.  He learned pretty quickly what to do and is a natural!
Dylan was so proud of himself for only picking the most perfect ones.  He didn't know he could eat them 'til I told him it was ok. 
Isaac went right to work.  Eating, I mean. 
Note his container is EMPTY!
Dylan ate some and liked them!
He asked why we were only picking the red ones.  I told him to try one of the green ones to learn for himself.  He didn't like them, but took more bites b/c he thought he was supposed to finish it. 
We started showing off the ones we thought were the most perfect. 
Steven picked this big daddy one. 
I thought this one looked pretty perfect. 

Dylan thinks this one looks like it has wings and could fly! 
He was telling me a funny story with it here.
Back to Isaac, working hard! 
No basket needed, that would only hold him back. 
Isaac took a snack break from all of his hard work.  Steven was calling him (and me) telling us it was time to go.  I could stay there all day!  I was playing with my camera settings trying to get the sun and shaddows in the right places yet getting blue skies.  I haven't mastered that at all, but it's fun to play!  Isaac and I are a lot a like.  Steven and Dylan had to fill our baskets for us:)
I found another pretty perfect strawberry, and got the lighting where I liked it. 
Isaac agreed with the perfection I had found!  Too bad the exposure for the strawberry and sky didn't make for perfect lighting on his face.  I still love the image anyway:)
Not as much as I love my boys and their messy faces! 
Steven washed Isaac's shirt and it didn't come out with ANY stains on it!  We invited my family over for fresh strawberry shortcake.  Isaac asked for more, and when I pointed to the ice cream, he declined.  He didn't want the home made pound cake my mom made, nor did he want the the cool whip.  He wanted more strawberries! 
Then we watched The Blind Side. 
What a good family day!

4 comments:

Kat Gille said...

I love it! That looks like the perfect family day. And I love all the insights about your boys that come out in your descriptions of what they do. Dylan was willing to [slowly] eat a whole green strawberry without being forced just because he knows that he's supposed to finish what he starts? Wow! And Steven's a magic-worker with laundry stains? Wow again! And Isaac doesn't mind getting messy, and he loves strawberries more than ice cream or cake or whipped cream? Wow wow!

And the pictures at the strawberry farm look like it was beautiful weather and lots of fun. I wish there were you-pick farms like that near where I live!

Kat Gille said...

Oh, and I forgot to say . . . in the picture of you and your boys with their messy faces, Dylan totally has a Babcock smile on. I think he looks like Ella! :)

Lacey McKay said...

$1 for FOUR containers? I want to visit during strawberry picking season!!! How fun! So....I guess you don't have to pay for the ones you eat as you go along? I think I could make a whole meal out of strawberries! I would be there every day if I lived close. Have you ever made a strawberry pie? My neighbor did once and it was so yummy! Is it weird for your mom to visit you at your old house? I was confused for a second when I saw her sitting at the table in her old dining room. ha! Okay, I'm totally jealous of your strawberry picking farms. Fresh, strawberries, warm from the sun, for $1. Wow. That's heaven on Earth if you ask me!

Lacey McKay said...

Awesome pics by the way! You are really good at shooting in direct sunlight. I suck at it. I love all of the ones you got, but I think my fave is the one of Isaac grabbing for the strawberry. It's like the strawberry is looking right into the camera saying "Save me! I'm about to be eaten by a little boy!"