Monday, March 15, 2010

sun oven VS. convection oven

My dad got me a convection oven with the hope that I would not buy a microwave. It worked. We do have a microwave in the garage that we occassionally sneak and plug in out there, but that's really REALLY rare.

My dad also got me a solar powered sun oven.

Today I made baked ziti in the convection oven. The top got crisp, and by the time Steven got home, it was cold.

The solar oven wins! It's moist and steaming hot for a long time and won't burn get crisp on top.

The funny thing is, that my dad got me the pots I use in the sun oven and the pan I used in the convection oven (and my Saladmaster other pots and pans). He's the skinniest guy around, yet he's worried how I eat.  I guess he wants me (and his grandsons) to be healthy.  He's making it easier.  I think I'll designate next week as another NC week, only I'll include my 3 boys which means I need to do a lot of planning.  I want to make a warm spinach salad (I had one at Macaroni Grill and I think I can duplicate it), grilled fish with either corn on the cob or asperagus, beans and rice (maybe made into a taco salad w/ no meat - just kidney beans like my mom makes), baked/mashed potatoes, and veggie wraps with hummus.  I'll also do organic pasta w/ organic sauce one day too.  That's the plan anyway, we'll see how busy I get and if I can get home for dinner. 

My dad would have liked this baked ziti recipie better than the one I did in the sun oven b/c I didn't go to the store to buy the meat, (even though it was organic ground beef or ground turkey last time), and I used whole wheat pasta this time. I don't like ricatta, so I use goat cheese, not much, but it's fun. Then I put some on our salad too:).

For those of you who asked where my dad got my "green" solar oven, it's http://www.solarovens.org/

oh, and I updated my fishy face photography blog w/ cute photos of a girl's newborn.  I met them the day before.  (It was on that best random Thursday ever).  She seemed like she needed a photoshoot, and did it for free.  It was short and rushed unfortunately, but I think she got more than she paid for:)

No comments: