Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Baby Isaac's eye surgery

My mom had been asking me if Isaac bumped his eyebrow.  I would look over and tell her that his eyes always look swollen b/c he's got fat there.  Then she felt it one day, and felt a pea sized nodule.  She told me to take him to the doctor the next day, and I did.  She told me to take him to the pediatric eye doctor, which I did.  He told me that it is a "dermoid cyst."  It forms when epithelial cells get trapped when the scull is forming.  It's a really common place but it will just keep growing, and if he ever gets bumped there, it could rupture and could damage his eye.  SO, he had to have surgery.  We waited until after his birthday party, of course.  Steven took a day off of work b/c he has a lot of vacation days.  I was so jealous that he could be with our baby.  Isaac was actually excited for it.  I took his picture in the morning between my prayers. 
Steven packed the diaper bag with lots of distractions, and I packed a camera for him. 
I like Isaac and steven's fake smiles here.  Now you see the bump between the corner of his left eye and his eye brow?  There is a mark above it to mark which side. 
They waited and waited and waited and waited in a waiting room. They found EVERY superhero and object in Isaac's new look and find book a couple of times. Isaac wasn't able to eat or drink anything, and Steven said he did okay with that b/c he understood. He would gather all of his things together and would start heading for the door and would try to get Steven to go with him. He kept asking to go bye bye, poor baby. Steven told him that he would get him a new Diego movie when they left. Steven would ask him what they were doing, and Isaac would keep adding "and see Mommy" instead of being excited about the Diego movie. How sweet! The nurse asked me before to have his comfort item ready when he woke up from the anesthesia, but his comfort item has always been ME! He doesn't have a specific blanket, thumb, pacifier, stuffed animal, or anything. He likes to put his head down on my shoulder. Right at my lunch break start, Steven told me that he had just been paged that the surgery was over.  I couldn't wait to hear how it went.  Steven didn't answer - and it did ring, so he did have reception.  My mind was racing, but I had a full schedule of patients after that LONG lunch break.  He still didn't call until after my first patient after lunch.  He started by saying that it wasn't good, and that Isaac had a hard time comming out of anesthesia.  WHAT?  What Steven should have said, was that Isaac is fine, was already buckled in the carseat, had eaten something, and the surgery went perfectly well.  He had what looks like 7 stitches that will disolve.  Isaac actually woke up before Steven even got back there, was hungry (scared), and mad at the whole situation of not knowing where he was, who was in there with him, and why he had an IV in his leg still.  He cried for over an hour, didn't want popsicles, and Steven couldn't take a break to call me.  Isaac got a happy meal, and wanted to be held.  Steven held him the rest of the day, and still when I finally got home. 

Here's a side story I just remembered.  After Dylan and Isaac's well visit, and talking about the paperwork the hospital needed the pediatrician to fill out etc, Dylan asked me, "Mom, when is Isaac going to die?"  Steven called at the same time, and I had to hang up to clear some things up.  Dylan must associate the hospital with death??  The last person he knew in the hospital was his Abuelita.  We visited her there a couple of times before her death a little over a year ago.  And, we talked about Isaac's cyst as a "bump by  his eye," and we talked about Rosco's cancerous tumor as "a bump in his leg."  Dylan knew that Rosco would soon die because his bump was not getting better.  Dylan still didn't believe me that Isaac would be fine until I reminded him that I went to the hospital and we had Isaac and I was fine.  He remembered that, and I could see the concern leave his little face.  Wow.  It did make me think again that we really never know when someone will die.  But I was pretty sure that Isaac would be fine.  And he was! 



He was happy to play with his new happy meal toy.  He started getting a little more active as the evening went on, and he and I played RED LIGHT, green light while Steven and Dylan went to go pick out a Diego movie for him.  I've been busy, but said no to a couple of people b/c "cuddle with my baby" was already on my calendar for that Tuesday evening.  And that's just what I did. 

3 comments:

Kat Gille said...

Poor sweet little guy! It sounds traumatic that you couldn't be there with him. And he looks so tired and drugged in the last picture.

Dylan's associations with hospitals and death are so interesting. I'm so glad he asked you about it instead of just believing his little brother was going to die soon! It reminds me of that old Church video from way back when about hummingbirds and a little boy who donates blood to save his little sister, but he does so under the impression that him giving her his blood will save her but kill him. Do you remember that one? With the needle in his arm, the boy asks, "So when do I die?"

Anyway, I love your blog because it gives so many details that I feel like I'm learning how kids think and feel . . . and I'm learning how to be a good mom someday because I'm reading how you handle things and you're a GREAT mom. :)

Marcie said...

I'm so glad it's over! I'm sure that's a huge relief. Matt had a terrible time coming out of anesthesia too. It was awful but he was just fine. Poor guy, poor you. I'm glad it's over :)

Lacey McKay said...

Poor little guy! I'm sorry you couldn't be there with him. But it sounds like he was in good hands.

Dylan's comment gave me chills. I hate that our precious, innocent babies have to learn about such harsh things as death. I mean, death is a part of life and they have to learn about it sooner or later, but I wish it could be much later. I wish we didn't have to worry about death at all.

I remember asking my parents when I was going to die. I was probably about Dylan's age and my parents assured me it wouldn't be for a very long time and I remember feeling so relieved. That's all I needed to hear! But now that I'm older, I know that I could die at any time and I'm terrified of death! And now that I have kids, I worry about them constantly too...