Wednesday, November 11, 2009

My Business Idea, feedback please

I need to make some more $. I don't really want to go work full time, although if I could find another job to work the other days AND could find daycare for the kids the other days, then I'd do it under the stipulation that it would only be for "X" many months.
It's a pain to find another job. And I don't really want to put my kids in someone else's hands especially since I hate not knowing exactly what Dylan does the two days he's at preschool as it is. He's wired and moody when he comes home. Sometimes he's happy, but on Monday, he hadn't taken a nap, and everything bothered him and made him cry or yell or both.

SO, Steven thinks that I should stop working on the computer for other people for free. I don't want to do that b/c for one thing, I want to do what I'm doing, and I don't know anybody who has $ right now, well like a small handful. Anyway, to compromise, he thinks I should start a photography business. There's a lot of competition, and I would need to take classes, would need a back up camera, lenses, lighting, back drops, and who knows what else. I'm not a pro, is the bottom line. So the brain storm idea of the week is to be an underwater photographer! I've seen some out there, but not in our area at least. I've seen some really cool shots of babies, and even some romantic kiss ones where the couple both has their regular clothes on.
I don't need to buy back drops or lighting b/c I have a pool and the sunshine! I would want a cute short kid's lifeguard stand to put on my pool deck. Kids stay still easier if they have something to sit on (like Prickly Pete). That way, I can even take some photos on the pool deck. Steven has plans on making our back yard more like Andre's (tropical paradise), so maybe next summer I'll be in business!

So, don't steal my idea.

I think I'll use the little camera that I have at first so I won't have any overhead in the beginning. I won't charge session fees b/c I'm just starting out. I will be honest about everything (w/o selling myself short.) I want to talk to some swimming lesson instructors like the ISR (infants) instructors who work in one location all day long. I'll have designated picture days where I'll capture some of the lesson, then will quickly take some creative underwater portraits. I'll either go back with proofs, or will have an online gallery and they can purchase from there. If they want retakes, we can schedule it in the city pool there, or my pool, or possibly Andre's back yard oasis. I would charge a session fee for that.

I took these a couple of weeks ago of Malia, not trying to be good or anything, and Steven hadn't even thought about the underwater business.

Of my friends: would you pay me to take amazing underwater photos? I do have the facts that I was a lifeguard, WSI certified, first responder certified, EMT certified, Red Cross Babysitter certified:), and am still CPR certified going for me. I don't know any other photographers who know what I know about babies, kids, and pools like how long kids can be under water. I'm rambling now. Anyway, feedback please!

Or do you have another idea for how I can get rich quick:)

3 comments:

Lacey McKay said...

My thoughts while reading this post:

1. You don't have to buy all of that stuff to get started as a photographer. I know lots of very successful photographers who only have a nice camera and a few newborn hats and they make a nice living. You just have to learn to work with natural light!

2. It's hard to start a business being specialized. Most people start out with a wide variety of clients and narrow it down to their specialty over several years. I like working with toddlers best, but I have done weddings, couples, seniors, etc to help get the business started.

3. I think this is a really neat idea, but please be sure and buy some insurance! Even with certification, if someone's kid got hurt on your watch, all the more reason for them to sue you. Join the PPA. I think they are supposed to have good insurance...which reminds me, I have a call to make!

4. I agree with Stephen that you do way too much for other people for free. If you are serious about this business adventure, invest in a good camera and charge a sitting fee of at least $50. You can call it a "portfolio building session". They are paying you for your time. You can use the money you make to pay for the camera. If you don't get a good camera, then your photos will look like snapshots and you won't get more business. You have to be willing to put something into it before you can expect others to do so! Think about what you have to offer people that they can't do themselves. Also, get a good website to showcase your work!

Sorry if this feedback seems harsh. I'm just trying to help. I want you to be successful! You have talked about starting a photography business for so long and you just need to take the plunge! No pun intended. Hey! There's a business name for ya! Ha!

Lindsay said...

I probably would do it as long as Ada was happy with it! You have a LOT of talents that could take you somewhere! Good luck!

Marcie said...

I think starting a photography business is a great idea! You are so talented and I think you would love it!

I love the idea of the underwater sessions. Very unique. I think it would be great to have that as you specialty but I also wonder if you would get enough business (?)... It's a great idea and you should pursue it... but you should also think about taking pictures in the park or on location somewhere... somewhere where you could use natural light and the camera you have to start. You don't have to charge a fortune... but it would be a little more cashflow while you're starting up.

I think it's awesome that you are really thinking about starting! It's time :) I'm ready to book my session (but until the ear tubes come out we can't do underwater... so please think about a park session for us :)