Friday, July 10, 2009

I Love Mondays ♥ ♥ ♥ . . .

Fridays should be my free day.
I should be able to do everything on my list.
We should do something really fun with friends.
It's finally just me and my two babies.
People know that and schedule things that day.
I know that and schedule too much that day.
I know yet forget to schedule appointments.
Steven comes home on time and I don't think I have much to show for my day off.
The day flies by, then I haven't planned our evening and just want to shove the kids off on him so I can clean the bathrooms and re-clean the floors.
Friday = Guilt.

I used to hate being home and I felt lazy if I didn't do something out and about in a day. I was more on-the-go than at my house. I looked for things to do like going to the library, aquarium, zoo, parks, pools, walkways, waterways, beaches, running, strolling, biking, soccer, friends, play places, family, Chuck E. Cheese's, church functions, other organizations' functions, eating anywhere but home, sporting events, the Grand Prix, anything! Our house was smaller and had a lot less upkeep. (Or was under construction and we just left it and enjoyed life outside of it.)

Now, I feel like I'm not home enough, even though I'm here more than anywhere else. I still want to do all of that fun stuff, but it's hard to feel productive so I don't plan that stuff much. I wish I had a day to myself. I see everybody around me getting so much done, and I can't keep up! I have lots of projects that don't have deadlines, so they get pushed back. I keep saying that I want to cook more, and I kinda am, but it's possibly the hardest thing for me. I can't plan. I'll even have free time to plan w/ a computer, the phone, cook books, and everything, but I can't get it. I'm so blessed to have a husband who's understanding and could care less about my lack of cooking/meal planning skills.

I hate messing up nap time now. Isaac doesn't even have a real nap time, and Dylan has always been so easy that his nap wasn't ever a factor in my outing planning. Wierd.

Today, I slept in - I LOVE to sleep in. Steven was up before the sunshine, I don't think I opened my eyes for that; I just nodded when he said something. Isaac woke up and Steven brought him into me. I went back to sleep. I'm not sure if he did. Later, Dylan ran into our room and asked to put on his Rays clothes and told me he wanted tiny green cereal. We ate cereal along with the watermellon I've been meaning to cut, cleaned the play room (after playing with Batman) with the thought of big lolly pops as rewards, changed out of Rays clothes for picture clothes, took not-so-good rushed pictures, and went to the grocery store. We came home and I made mushroom, onion, and pees (why did I include pees???) wheat quesedillas. We had grapes too. Why was I stressed about making lunch? Perhaps because it was past lunch time and we were all so hungry and Isaac was past the hunger phase b/c I kept offering him applesauce and grapes and fruit snacks because I was taking so long at the stove and now he was at the tired phase? (Long thought, sorry, it'll happen again lots though.)

To be a fun mom, I gave them mini cupcakes, but I was sick of cleaning up the full cup of water spill, the upside down cup of applesauce on the tray, smushed pees between Isaac's toes, and my own pots and pans now running in the dishwasher, so they each got their cupcakes nude in the tub. While I was trying to multi-task, Dylan tells me that Isaac made a mess. I expected water to be on the tile, but no - the entire mini cupcake was floating in soggy pieces around my two cute brown boys. Why hadn't I remembered that Isaac was DONE eating?

Anyway, they're in their beds now. Isaac is still crying. He only goes to bed for Steven and Corrie. Waiting 'til he's overly tired isn't working, he's just more tired, snotty, and upset. He lays his head down and is quiet for a little bit, then stands up to let me know the protest is still on.

On a lighter note,
I LOVE Mondays!
Noah is here to keep Isaac company.
I'm not sick of kids b/c we had a weekend with Daddy who helps a lot.
I didn't plan anything for Monday, so anything I get done is a bonus!
I am so happy to see Dylan when Corrie brings him back to me.
Steven brings home dinner, grills, or if we're lucky, I made something.
I don't feel guilty napping w/ Isaac, so he and I both are rested.
No stress!
Oh, and Isaac is curled up on his tummy with his sippy cup of water and I think he's asleep!
I win!
Post Edit along w/ the title:
And I love our house. I love cleaning the pool. It's just that Isaac no longer just hangs out on the steps and occassionally falls in. Now he glides in every chance he gets so I have to stay right by him once I initially jump in to surface him.
I love having a big kitchen. There are so many good things about the house, that I really like staying here. Why go to the park when our back yard is closer and useable?!

3 comments:

Kat Gille said...

Does the difference in house size really make a difference? I'm glad your Mondays are better. I'll have to come pick up the kids on a Friday so you can get lots done while they play with Aunt Kat! :)

Lacey McKay said...

You just pretty much described EVERY day at my house!!! I try to get stuff done ALL day long, but by the end of the day, the house is still a total wreck, no dinner on the table, and kids are whiney. I shove them at Brian to hurry and get dinner made and pick up toys, but he hands Madison back after about five minutes because she only wants me right now.

I'm very thankful to have the opportunity to stay at home with my girls, but it is hard work! If I make a list of stuff that needs to get done, my day is way more stressful and I seem to get LESS done, but if I make no plans, my day ends up being very productive!

So, next Friday, don't plan ANYTHING! Just wake up and see how the day goes. Roll with the punches. Laugh at the muffin in the tub and, if you're anthing like me, which I know you are, take a picture of it too! Then come here to blog about it! We can laugh with you. When it's all said and done, I'm sure it will be those silly little things that you remember most. I mean, just think how boring your day would have been without all of the mishaps!

Also, I know EXACTLY what you mean about the nap time thing! I used to have to plan my entire day around Abbey's naptime because, if she missed her nap, it was bad news for everyone involved. She wouldn't sleep anywhere except her swing! Madison, on the other hand, will fall asleep anywhere...the stroller, the car seat, my arms, the B'jorn, anything! It makes things SO much easier! I try to be considerate of her nap time when I can, but if I have to be somewhere during her nap time, I don't even think twice about it. As long as she has me, she's good to go!

Anyway, just wanted to say how much I love this post. It's so honest and so, so true! It describes very well what a "day in the life" of a stay-at-home mom is like! I felt like I was right there with you today. Seriously. As bad as you feel it went, I totally wanted to be there eating lunch with you guys. Well, maybe not onion, mushroom, wheat wraps, or whatever they were. I would have suggested we hop in the car and drive over to Chick-Fil-A or Sonic!

Lacey McKay said...

This post is also amusing because, while everyone else is saying "TGIF" or "I'm so glad it's Friday!", you are over here saying "I hate Fridays!" I don't know why, but I get so tired of hearing "TGIF" all the time. I think people wore me out on it during the short time I was reading Facebook. I guess I used to say it, but I never say it anymore because every day is pretty much the same for me, whether it's Monday or Saturday. The only difference is that Brian is home on the weekends.