Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Bring on the Stress

Dr. Phane shared this Ted talk with us in our morning huddle today.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcGyVTAoXEU#action=share

We were having sound issues on our retreat in Mexico so we got to continue learning this morning. I love this spin on stress and our health. We keep hearing how stress is so bad for us and to avoid it yet it's pretty unavoidable #amiright This is so positive! Life is full of trials which can make or break us. If they make us, we want to reach out and share with others. We need one another and if we know how to see/use stress, we can help others.

It made me think of how my dad Charles Gille is the master at stress. He has always LOVED a challenge. He LOVES work and the harder the better. It's kind of the Gille way. His dad taught him and his siblings to work, to be efficient, to work together, and to make it FUN. "If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right" has been his motto. He sees something that needs to be done and does it. He sees no point worrying about it, just time thinking about how to do it the most efficient fun way. He loves seeing something that needs to be done for others and jumps in and does it with a huge smile.

I'm trying to find a way to instill a bit into my little family by saying "You're a Feger, Feger it out" instead of their common complaining about something. I want my kids to be thinkers and doers, not worriers. Sorry. Life isn't fair or all for fun, but you've got this!

Read my dad's short email update he sent to us a while ago from his home in Colorado.

Earth life is SO FUN!

My beloveds --
The other day I left home on the bicycle to go get milk & eggs on the other side of the valley, about 3 miles a way. I had barely gotten started when I noticed that I had a pretty stiff headwind, and it was starting to sleet. I started to feel kinda sorry or something for myself. (It had been too muddy to get a motor vehicle off the property, so I was on the bicycle.) Well, I noticed that I was sinking into having a miserable feeling. Uh, no thanks! I stopped (in my head -- I was still pedaling) and said to myself, "Look at me! I'm nearly 70 years old, and I'm bicycling, into a headwind, with sleet, and going across the valley and up a long hill to the milk place! I am SO BLESSED that I can DO this! And I've GOT this!" Instead of having a drudgery-full bike ride, I had an exciting time, BEING full of life and energy and excitement! It was GREAT!

Somehow, I've been blessed to be able to NOTICE how blessed I am, practically constantly. Earth life is SO FUN!

Love,

[Grand]Dad

No comments: